Monday 21 July 2014

Jumping the Bags

'Jumping the Bags' is slang used during world war one for going 'over the top' - or commencing an attack over the sandbags of the trench parapet.
I doubt there is any experience of WWI more iconic than the sound of whistles being blown as the 'big push' begins. Men scrambling over the parapet to enter the mayhem of no man's land. Those of us that look back from the safety of our armchairs can only wonder at the incredible courage displayed by the ordinary fighting man in WWI.

The history of this world-changing conflict that defined a century has gripped me since I was a lad. As the centenary of the Great War approaches, I wanted to start a new blog dedicated to this war and my various interests surrounding it – history of the conflict, militaria and wargaming.

Much of my historical interest will follow the family ties we have to this conflict - none closer than the experiences of my maternal grandfather, 991, Harry Sennett and great Uncle Charlie Stranks. But, more of them to follow.

I hope you, as the reader, find something of interest here as we launch into the great adventure together. Thanks for dropping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment